Below you'll find recent contributions related to A Siegel's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Swoosh! Just Don’t Do It ...
How better to promote a controversial Trade Deal than go to an American Corporate Icon , that knows a thing or two about "leveraging" overseas labor. If anyone can sell this TPP plan, the ...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Allegheny wind turbines collide with NIMBY, GOP attacks science
See Gwennedd's post Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention they deserve. To help get more ...
|Seattle Mayor Ed Murray delays Shell's plan to use port as base for Arctic Drilling
Seattle's Mayor Ed Murray has demanded that the Port of Seattle get a new permit to base Shell Oil's drilling for oil offshore in the Arctic Ocean, a development environmentalists have condemned as ...
|Duke Energy wants a breather from all of these coal ash lawsuits
Crystal clear ashy water. Duke Energy, most recently known for ...
|Midday open thread: 'festival' of corruption in NY, ADP report hints again at hiring slowdown
Today's comic by Matt Bors is X-Race Specs :
|Three Mile Island: A History of America's Worst Nuclear Accident
In 1970, nuclear power was assumed to be the bright future of humanity, providing us with nearly limitless quantities of cheap clean energy for the foreseeable future. Instead, by 1980, nuclear ...
|Harry Reid joins senators promoting a petition that calls for opposition to 'fast-tracking' TPP
Still not onboard with fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership Under the rubric of "prioritize jobs" Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin (WI), Sherrod Brown (OH), Al Franken (MN), ...
|Ellen Weider: Drypoints in a Digital Age
The impact of an increasingly digitalized world has affected all areas of our lives, including the arts. As many creatives embrace new technology to enhance or supersede mediums that are centuries ...
|Marcia G Yerman||05/06/2015||4|
| Republicans who cut science budgets are not stupid. They're malicious. Goal: official ignorance
Somebody needs to wipe the climate-change-denying smile off Lamar Smith's mug. The story about Republicans in committee axing big hunks of government science budgets sparked a deluge of social ...
|Yet another oil train goes off the rails and burns. No injuries reported, but 35 people evacuated
Off the rails in North Dakota. The Department of Transportation predicted last July that there ...
|Fighting for the Right to Breathe in Detroit and Beyond
The following guest post is an open letter to Detroit-based utility company DTE Energy, which is having its annual shareholder meeting this week. The letter was authored by Alicia Winters, a mother ...
|Mary Anne Hitt||05/06/2015||2|
|Deniers acknowledge Soon's wrongdoing… sort of.
In a desperate attempt to discredit the new study that finds Obama's EPA regulations will save 3,500 lives , JunkScience has a ...
|Huge! Alberta, Canada, home to tar sands, has elected a Premier who will stop pushing Keystone XL
Congratulations Alberta, Canada! With a large majority Alberta, Canada has just elected a people friendly, environment friendly premier! Great for Canada and the rest of the world!
|Open thread for night owls: Now comes Trans-Pacific trickle-down
Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich writes Trans-Pacific Trickle-Down Economics : Now comes the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It’s being sold as a way to boost the U.S. economy, expand exports, ...
|Bernie and Moyers on Money in Politics.
Everyone talks about this problem of Money in Politics . Some Candidates have been talking about it long before "it was kool." Bernie Sanders on What Money Does to Politics (with Video) on ...
|Natural Gas Fracking suspected as the source for the persistent Four Corners Methane Plume
Gas fracking has be estimated to release much more methane than previous gas industry claims. The worst offender for Methane releases in the US is probably the natural gas field in the Four Corners ...
|Battle over Iran nuclear review bill by right and ultra right seems ended. Vote expected Thursday
These two guys are moving toward a vote ...
|Midday open thread: Top hedge fund managers earn paltry $11bn, Edison's talking dolls still creepy
Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Texas takeover :
|Klobuchar, Tester reintroduce bill to require states to allow voter registration on Election Day
Allowing citizens to register to vote on Election Day is a smart idea that boosts turnout and makes things easier for the most mobile Americans. It has been tested for problems for decades in the ...
|Reinforcing myths, instead of busting them
For anyone interested in debunking climate change myths, there's a great resource that should be your first read: the Debunking Handbook . It's a short and simple guide on what to do and what not to ...
|It’s time to seriously rethink ‘zero tolerance’ policing
The first two steps toward uplifting young black men are simple: Stop killing them and stop locking them in prison for nonviolent offenses. That is the first sentence of this powerful Washington ...
|Open thread for night owls: Ask your doc if this birth control is right for you. Now ask your boss
In case you can't see the video here, try ...
|So What did Wildstein tell the U.S. Attorney anyways
Well if U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman's indictment is any guide, it was quite a lot. Full text of Wildstein indictment courierpostonline.com -- May 1, 2015 [ pg 4 ] [...] 2. From in or about ...
|You probably don't want to hear this but California is using water left from fracking to water crops
Yes, it's the waste water left over from fracking. The fracking liquid that contains chemicals we don't know about. This is the kind of idiocy posing as one solution to the California man-...
|Study saying EPA rules will save 3,500 lives should be nailed to door of every naysayer in Congress
Curbing coal plant emissions would save lots of lives. Not that this matters to EPA haters. A new study published in the ...
|Scientists abandon California snowpack measurement, because–why bother?
Nothing to see here! Two years ago, scientists at UCLA predicted there would ...
|Midday open thread: Minimum wage boost hits bullseye, executions don't hit worst of the worst
Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Responses to Baltimore :
|Iran nuclear review act: Is it lose-lose for Republicans?
Whoops. Even though the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act most likely will pass the Senate by a large majority, the superhawks, pushed by Sens. Tom Cotton (R-AR) and president-wannabe Marco Rubio (R-
|Delingpole's Deepwater Disrespect
We spend a lot of time talking about James Delingpole, and occasionally it seems like maybe we're picking on him a bit too much (and giving him more attention than he deserves). But then he goes ...
|Abbreviated pundit round-up: Why Baltimore's past matters; Is ISIS really on the run?
Molly Redden at Mother Jones writes Want an Abortion This Year? Get Ready to Wait : For women seeking an abortion, 2015 is shaping up to be the year of the long wait. Since the beginning of the year,
|To My Daughter, On Her Thirtieth
The truth is always at the end of a shadow, a silhouette silent behind a door half open. It waits in precious patience.
|Race, Class and Neglect
is the title of this column by Paul Krugman in today's New York Times . It starts with the notion that we still have a problem with race, as exemplified by what happened with Freddie Gray and the ...
|Open thread for night owls. Do progressives need to make better emotional ties when organizing?
Excerpted by Alternet from Michael Bader'...
|A brief but powerful video from Jeremy Scahill
I thank MsSpentyouth for the Facebook post that made me aware of it. As far as i could tell it had not yet been shared here. Watch and then respond in the comments. Follow this link to the ...
|Another update on Felicity
Our now three-legged cat came home just before Noon yesterday. We have her in a downstairs room. After several times when she hid behind bookcases where we could not reach her, I emptied the ...
|Sunday Train: Variable Renewables and Dispatchable Demand
Much of the focus on the Sunday Train is on electrification of transport, ranging from 2,000 mile hauls of electrified freight through to hopping on an e-bike to pick up some groceries. And spending ...
|Sanders tells Stephanopoulos: America needs a 'Political Revolution' for Working Families
Thank you ABC News and and George Stephanopoulos for giving a Progressive Candidate a forum, on your national "Political Viewpoints" show. More please . Sen. Bernie Sanders Says America Needs '...
|Chuck Todd gives "his take" on Sanders' Candidacy
Instead of interviewing the Vermont Senator on his Sunday "Politics" show, instead of asking his Pundit Panel what they thought of the Sanders' Candidacy, Chuck Todd took it upon himself to single-...
|Now This Proposal Is What A Crude Oil "Export Pipeline" IS - TransCanada's Upland Pipeline Project
National environmental organizations and Democrats [often motivated by Tom Steyer campaign contributions] have created a mythology about the Keystone XL Pipeline claiming this to be an "export ...
|Glacier National Park: Red Rock Falls (Photo Diary) and Meet Up Stuff
Last Tuesday (April 28), we drove up to Avalanche and then walked up the road to Red Rock Falls. The photos are below the Orange Snow Bank:
|The New York Times tackles my heritage and city
José Martí and cigar workers on the steps of V.V. Ybor's factory, 1893 Imagine my surprise this morning, when my usual ...
|"Freddie Gray Never Had a Chance"
is the title of this short piece by Eugene Robinson in the Post Partisan section of the Washington Post . Robinson reminds us that the entire incident reeks of racial bias. Gray was on a street ...
|The Inoculation Project 5/3/2015: Physics in Baltimore
Solid science education is the best inoculation against ignorance.
|House Republicans launch direct attack on Earth Sciences slashing $300 to $500 million from NASA
Republican shills for Big Carbon are launching a direct assault on NASA funding designed to gut any future enhancements to the Earth Sciences capabilities to monitor changing conditions on our ...
|Which 10 Democrats Just Voted for the GOP's Dirty Energy and Water Bill?
Continuing with the appropriations process, the House today voted on the appropriations bill for the Army Corps of Engineers, Department of Energy, and nuclear weapons programs. Here is what the ...
|Liberty Equality Fraternity and Trees||05/01/2015||11|
|The kids aren't all right
New polling of young adults from the Harvard Public Opinion Project is getting deniers excited about the future. It found that 18 to 20-year-olds were the group least inclined to agree with the ...
|Victory! Fracking defeated in Florida!
I've been working on this Florida issue, so happy to spread the news that even in Florida with enough work and fantastic allies we can accomplish the almost impossible. How we did it was with ...
Recommended by A Siegel
- In this visually beautiful and mesmerizing piece, 27 year-old Prince Ea apologies to future generations for what we are doing, and not doing, to the planet today. The six-minute video contains so ...112 comments 325 Recs
- Dominion Resources and its regulated subsidiary, Dominion Virginia Power, are gambling big on natural gas. But while the utility giant will be a winner if gas prices stay low over the next 20 years, ...4 comments 13 Recs
- As described by Lenore Taylor at the Guardian, Australia is giving Bjorn Lomborg $4 million to set up an Australian version of his Consensus Center, even as the country struggles to make ends meet ...10 comments 12 Recs
- Methane is a gas often associated with swamps in the southeast or West Texas oil deposits. But last year scientists found the largest concentration in the US hanging quietly above in an unexpected ...67 comments 72 Recs
- My very own picture of former POTUS Bill Clinton I have always enjoyed working for an energy efficiency utility, but this perk really took it to a new level. On October 1, President Bill Clinton ...27 comments 30 Recs
- Today, I had the honor of standing with Michael Bloomberg and dozens of Sierra Club volunteers, staff, and supporters in Washington, DC, to announce a new round of investment by Bloomberg ...26 comments 15 Recs
- The business case for ever building two coal export mega-terminals in the Pacific Northwest is falling apart. From the Guardian: China's coal imports fall nearly half in 12 months as anti-...47 comments 98 Recs
- Nature Geoscience just published a sobering look at likely deglaciation in Western Canada during the 21st century with continued carbon emissions. The research team led by Garry Clarke of the ...19 comments 31 Recs
- White House chart on proposed emissions. When the deadline was reached Tuesday, just six governments had submitted plans for reducing ...64 comments 75 Recs
- As we were walking along the shore, we saw a seal coming ashore. It was one of those moments you hope for on a seaside day. There are still wonderful animals like this in the natural world, and ...35 comments 45 Recs
A Siegel's Tags
- No current results.
A Siegel's Blogroll
- Get Energy Smart ... NOW!!!!
- Lou Grinzo ... Cost of Energy
- ACT BLUE for an Energy Smart future
- World Changing: When despairing, finding ways towar a better w
- The Oil Drum -- excellent moderated analysis of energy issues
- EuroTribune (Jerome a Paris -- DKos spinoff)
- Grist -- Environmental News you can digest
- Celsias -- excellent environmental discussions
- Green Car Congress -- great source re transport tech developmen
- Coal is Dirty!!!!
- Rocky Mountain Institute: RMI; Amory Lovins + others
- The Climate Project: Briefing AIT to the world
- Climate. org
- Real Climate -- by climatologists for all of us
- European Climate Forum
- EcoGeek -- For news and insight on cool new technology around t
- Climate Crisis Coalition
- World Resources Institute
- Alliance for Climate Protection
- Alternative Energy Blog